Dr. Chai F.Y.
Consultant General, Minimally Invasive and Minilaparoscopic Surgeon
MD,CM (McGill), MS (UKM),
FRCS (Edin), Dip Lap Surg (Strasbourg),
AM (Mal), FICS (USA), CMIA (NIOSH)
- Resident Consultant at Jesselton Medical Centre, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia.
- Visiting Consultant at Geleneagles Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia.
- General Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Advanced Gastrointestinal Diagnostic and Therapeutic Endoscopy
- Nanjing Medical University First Affiliated Hospital, Visiting Professor
- International College of Surgeons, Fellow
- International College of Surgeons Humanitarian Surgery Volunteer
- International Society of Surgery, Member
- International Society of Digestive Surgery, Member
- Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeon, Member
- Endoscopic and Laparoscopic Surgeons of Asia, Life Member
- College of Surgeons of Malaysia, Member
- Academy of Medicine Malaysia (AM), Member
- Malaysia Society of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Life Member
- Advance Trauma Life Support (ATLS), Instructor
- Certified Medical Impairment Assessor
Previously, Dr. Chai served the Interior Division of Sabah and Keningau Hospital as the Head of Department of General Surgery, Head of Endoscopic Unit, Head of Daycare Unit, Head of Infection Control Unit, MSQH Accreditation steering committee, MS ISO certification steering committee and Patient Safety steering committee.
Dr. Chai trained in Canada, USA, Malaysia and Taiwan. He completed his laparoscopic training and acquired the Diploma of Laparoscopic Surgery from University of Strasbourg, France. With more than 12 years of vast clinical experience, Dr. Chai is skillful in General Surgery, Minilaparoscopy, various of Minimally Invasive Surgeries, variety of open and laparoscopic hernia repair surgeries, advanced Gastrointestinal Endoscopic procedures, breast surgery, thyroid surgery, trauma life support and surgery.
As a strong advocate of the clinical use and research of Minilaparoscopy, Minimally Invasive Surgery and Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, Dr. Chai initiated and developed the Laparoscopic Surgery Services for the population of the Interior of Sabah, expanded the General Surgery and Endoscopic services, trained numerous health personnel/junior doctors and promoted public health education/awareness during his service.
Being active in education, training and research, Dr. Chai assisted plenty of medical students, Pharmacy Master students and Surgery Master Students in their studies and research. He also facilitates regularly in the national ATLS course as an Instructor. In addition, Dr. Chai has initiated, participated and completed multiple research projects, published more than 15 articles in peer reviewed national and international medical journals. His service was acknowledged, and was awarded Outstanding Service Awards in 2009 and 2016 by the Ministry of Health.
Currently, Dr. Chai is an Editorial Board Member for various prestigious medical journals such as Asian Journal of Surgery, Turkish Journal of Gastroenterology and Asia Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine. He also serves as a peer reviewer for World Journal of Surgery, International Journal of Surgery, World Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, World Journal of Gastroenterology, European Surgery, and many other journals.